Hello everyone! Welcome to the first episode of a brand new podcast format: the Masterclass. During these episodes, I will host an expert in the field to present a case for us to talk through. We will take a detailed plunge into complicated clinical issues so that you can hear exactly how accomplished clinicians interview, test, and conceptualize challenging cases. My hope is to air one masterclass episode per quarter.
Today’s Masterclass on differentiating adolescent-onset psychosis comes from Dr. Stephanie Nelson. Stephanie has a wonderful balance of clinical acumen, knowledge of the research, and humility that is on full display during this presentation. Here are just a few topics that we cover:
- The role of viral infection and birth date in risk for psychosis
- Relationship between trauma and auditory hallucinations
- Relationship between medical issues and psychosis
- Typical “causes” of psychosis – acute vs. episodic
- A battery for assessing psychosis
- Delivering feedback for a psychosis diagnosis
Cool Things Mentioned
- Stephanie’s comprehensive PowerPoint of this discussion
- Stephanie’s consultation services: www.thepeerconsult.com
- CEDAR clinic
- Testing Psychologist episode w/ Michelle Friedman-Yakoobian
- Testing Psychologist episode on Therapeutic Assessment
- Testing Psychologist episode on pediatric Therapeutic Assessment
- Psychological Testing That Matters (affiliate link)
- Pamela Hayes’ Addressing framework and book (affiliate link)
- Matrics consensus battery ‘
- Fusar-Poli’s work
- Prodromal questionnaire
- PRIME questionnaire
- Early Psychosis Screener
- The First Interview by James Morrison (affiliate link)
- CMOCS for OCD
- John Stone’s feedback model
- SPIKES protocol for giving medical news
- The Testing Psychologist episode #84 w/ Stephanie
I am honored to partner with PAR for the next few months to bring you featured items from their catalog! Listen to each episode for specific product recommendations and links. Learn more at www.parinc.com.
The Testing Psychologist podcast is approved for CEU’s!
I’ve partnered with At Health to offer CE credits for podcast episodes! Visit this link to access current and past episodes available for CE credit. You can use code “TTP10” for a discount on ALL the course credits you purchase from At Health!
About Dr. Stephanie Nelson
Dr. Stephanie Nelson is a pediatric neuropsychologist who specializes in complex differential diagnosis. She is board certified in both clinical neuropsychology (ABPP-CN) and pediatric neuropsychology (ABPdN). Dr. Nelson earned her undergraduate degree at Williams College and her doctorate in clinical psychology at the University of Vermont. She completed her internship and postdoctoral fellowship in pediatric neuropsychology at the University of Minnesota Medical Center. After a few years in group practice in the Boston area, Dr. Nelson returned home to the Pacific Northwest in 2014 and opened her own practice. In 2018, she founded Skylight Neuropsychology in Seattle, WA. She currently provides comprehensive neuropsychological assessments and outreach to the community through presentations, workshops, and volunteer work. She also provides consultation to psychologists and neuropsychologists who specialize in pediatric assessment.
About Dr. Jeremy Sharp
I’m a licensed psychologist and Clinical Director at the Colorado Center for Assessment & Counseling, a private practice that I founded in 2009 and grew to include nine licensed clinicians, three clinicians in training, and a full administrative staff. I earned my undergraduate degree in Experimental Psychology from the University of South Carolina before getting my Master’s and PhD in Counseling Psychology from Colorado State University. These days, I specialize in psychological and neuropsychological evaluation with kids and adolescents.
As the host of the Testing Psychologist Podcast, I provide private practice consulting for psychologists and other mental health professionals who want to start or grow psychological testing services in their practices. I live in Fort Collins, Colorado with my wife (also a therapist) and two young kids.
Ready to grow your testing services? Click below to schedule a complimentary 30-minute pre-consulting call!